The Jason Aldean Concert at Fair Park on Saturday Got Pretty Wild

Categories: Crime, Music

Jason Aldean
Attention white people: It might be time to take heed of all those stay-away-from-Fair Park warnings you heard growing up, because when you take the pop-country stylings of Jason Aldean, whose Night Train Tour made a stop at Gexa Energy Pavilion Saturday night, and mix in a little alcohol, you become a danger to yourself and others.

This isn't just knee-jerk vilification of country music fans. It's well documented by police, who were called to Gexa no fewer than six times during and in the immediate aftermath of Aldean's concert.

A couple of the instances were admittedly mild. During the show, one 24-year-old woman asked the person in front of her to move. Instead, she threw beer. Another woman had her new iPhone snatched from her hand as she walked to her car. A third incident involved a man, presumably drunk, falling in the parking lot and requiring police assistance.

More »

Rolex is Not Amused by Dallas Pop-Punk Singer's Counterfeit Watch Business

Jonathan Cook, second from left, is accused of selling counterfeit Rolex watches.
Their bio on Jam Base chalks it up to a "magical combination of talent, perseverance and opportunity," but, whatever their secret, Forever the Sickest Kids has enjoyed a remarkably long run in the music business. The Dallas-based pop-punk band managed to land a major-label record deal months after its formation in 2006 and has since released a handful of decent-selling albums, made appearances on MTV and Conan O'Brien, and joined the Vans Warped Tour. Their new album is set to be released on June 25.

But surviving seven years in the music industry doesn't necessarily bring riches, and lead singer Jonathan Cook eventually turned to other means to help support himself. Specifically, he started selling counterfeit Rolex watches on Craigslist. He admitted as much in a statement released last month following his arrest by Dallas police for selling counterfeit goods.

See also
Q&A: Forever The Sickest Kids' Jonathan Cook Talks About Finally Having The Time To Make The Record His Band Wanted With Its Latest.

More »

WFAA Anchor Cynthia Izaguirre is Way Too Excited about Barry Manilow

Categories: Music

Cynthia Izaguirre: TV anchor, mom, unabashed Fanilow.
The Morning News played it straight when it reported that dulcet-voiced crooner Barry Manilow (Editor's note: "dulcet-voiced crooner" are Eric's own words. Have at him, commenters.) is giving away tickets to his May 17 in exchange for lightly used musical instruments that he will pass along to Dallas ISD. WFAA's Cynthia Izaguirre on the other hand, anchor of News 8 Daybreak, couldn't quite contain her excitement.

"Rock" isn't the first word Manilow calls to mind, but we'll give her a break. After all, she just scored an exclusive interview with the man and his luxurious golden hair spikes.

More »

Ludacris Throws Legal 'Bows in Dallas, Proving Rap Beefs Aren't What They Used to Be

Back in October, Demitri Brown and Donna Evans-Brown filed a not-at-all-frivolous lawsuit in Dallas County District Court claiming that Christopher Bridges, aka Ludacris, had stolen their trademark and illegally used it to build his Atlanta-based record label/entertainment empire.

The dispute centers around "Disturb the Peace," which Brown trademarked through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in 1988. That was more than a decade before Bridges established Disturbing Tha Peace, his record label.

But Brown's trademark had been cancelled in 2004, whereas Bridges' claim to "Disturbing Tha Peace" were and are still in effect. Brown objected to the cancellation of his trademark, saying that he had never abandoned the trademark as Bridges asserted, but that only came seven years later, in 2011. That was proof enough for the USPTO to decide that he had, in fact, abandoned the trademark, and that Bridges should retain the "Disturbing Tha Peace" trademark.

More »

The Ballad of Lucille Baller: The Bizarre Second Life of a Dallas Police Officer Turned Rapper

Categories: Crime, Music

The Morning News' Tanya Eiserer and WFAA's Rebecca Lopez teamed up last night for what has to be one of the more bizarre stories to emerge from the Dallas Police Department in recent years.

Their reports revealed that Regina Smith, a DPD lieutenant in charge of burglary and theft detectives in the southwest and northwest patrol units, has had a sideline gig running Big Rush In, LLC., a small hip-hop label, and performing herself under the name Lucille Baller. That's odd enough, particularly when you see Smith posing in an I Love Lucy-style wig, but what the stories focus on is the content of Lucille Baller's lyrics.

More »

Lizard Lounge Lives, Despite City's Halfhearted Biennial Efforts To Kill It

Categories: City Hall, Music

Moby at Lizard Lounge.jpg
Photo by Roderick Pullum
Moby plays Lizard Lounge's 20th anniversary celebration.

"On the inside, I'm a wreck," Don Nedler confided. He's a baldish, blue-eyed guy in his mid-50s, and from the outside he looked pretty calm. "I didn't sleep last night," he added. "I woke up at 5 a.m. My dogs were looking at me like I was crazy." Although he's been called to these hearings every other year, he says, he's never quite gotten used to them.

Since December 19, 1991, Nedler has owned the Lizard Lounge, the electronica and techno-spinning, famous-DJ-hosting, Goth Night-having club between downtown and Deep Ellum. Before he bought the place, it had been a strip joint called the Gold Club. "I had to appear before the entire City Council and promise I'd never make it into another strip club."

That wasn't a problem for Nedler. But a few years after Lizard Lounge opened, some loft apartments were built within 1,000 feet of the club. Technically, a business that close to a residence is a no-no, even when the business is there first. And because of that rule, every two years or so Nedler finds himself in an odd regulatory no-man's land.

More »

Dallas Music Producers Claim Ludacris Stole Their Business Name, Throw 'Bows in Court

It was in 2001 that Christopher Bridges, a.k.a. Ludacris, released "Move Bitch," a song still considered his masterpiece. (The inimitable chorus: "Move bitch, get out the way/Get out the way bitch/Get out the way.") It was the third single from the album Word of Mouf, and it helped propel the corn-rowed Atlanta rapper into the headphones of white high school kids in suburban Dallas.

It was due in part to the success of the single that Ludacris decided to trademark the name of his record label, Disturbing Tha Peace, a trademark that is still active.

He was a bit late, however, at least according to Demitri Brown and Donna Evans-Brown, a couple of Dallas music producers. Brown had been using the name "Disturb the Peace" in his business since 1988 and had filed for a trademark on the phrase in 2000, two years before Ludacris filed for his.

More »

Naked Randy Travis Arrested in Grayson County

Categories: Crime, Music

It wasn't long ago that we found country singer Randy Travis drinking wine in front of the First Baptist Church in Sanger. But the man has topped himself.

Pretty much everyone is now reporting that Travis walked naked into a Grayson County convenience store to buy cigarettes last night, crashed his car, then lay, still naked, in the middle of Farm-to-Market Road 922. Then, as he was being arrested for DWI, he allegedly threatened to shoot a state trooper. His girlfriend bonded him out of jail.

As you can see above, his mug shot don't look so pretty this time around.

For Your Weekend Listening Pleasure: On Lou Reed's 70th, The VU's Other 1969 Dallas Show

Categories: Music
The official version of the Velvet Underground's visit to The End of Cole in the fall of 1969 makes up one of the greatest live albums of all time: 1969: The Velvet Underground Live, though truth is much of it comes from a month-later set at The Matrix in San Francisco. That's the record from which the Cowboys Junkies would lift their "Sweet Jane" years later -- the one with the bit about heavenly wine and roses, the slow version, by far the best version of that immortal.

It's also the record that opens in Dallas, with Lou Reed asking the crowd about curfews, about whether it wants one long set or two short ones. "Pull up your cushions," he says, sounding friendly than I've ever heard him, "or whatever else you have with you that makes life bearable in Texas." The crowd moans. But Lou quickly wins 'em over by talking Cowboys-Eagles, a Dallas blowout. And then, straight into: "I'm Waiting for the Man."

That show was October 19, 1969 -- which I didn't know till years later was the second night of the band's visit. And so, tonight, on the occasion of Lou Reed's 70th birthday, I leave you with this: The Velvet Underground at End of Cole on October 18, 1969. Happy birthday, Lou; Merry Christmas to us all.

Both shows were recorded by the same guy: Jeff Leegood. During the first set he was far away from the stage; for the second, much closer, invited up, given a comfy spot, which is why it makes up The Official Document. Here's a great oral history of the Velvets' visit, told by those who were there, among them Leegood, who recounts:
[The Velvets were] regular people. Sterling used to smoke, so he was quiet and stoned. Lou and Mo were pretty nice. Doug Yule was kind of a dick. They weren't into drugs. Lou might have done some diet pills, but they didn't do hard drugs, at least not then, and they didn't like being around people who did. They just sang about it. Lou would say, "I saw it on Dragnet." In hindsight, I wish I'd taken films. There were no videos then, but I had access to an Aries 16mm camera.
This is a deservedly beloved boot often referred to as The First Night; if nothing else, it's complete in a way the official release isn't, and you can experience an in-its-entirety Velvet Underground set -- the constant ebb and flow, the control and chaos, the gentle rock and pulverizing roll that gets chopped into pieces on the 1969 two-fer. It even comes with a second section, known as the After-Show Jam, which takes some work to get all the way through. But, hey, we've got nothing time.

Mike Nesmith's Farewell to Davy Jones

Categories: Music
By now you're no doubt well aware that Monkees lead singer Davy Jones died today at the age of 66 following a heart attack. His bandmates have each posted their goodbyes: Peter Tork, Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith, the Monkee with deep Dallas roots.

The Thomas Jefferson High School graduate didn't embrace his band's legacy as profoundly (or as profitably) as his bandmates, who would record and tour without him for decades following the demise of the so-called Prefab Four. (The closest he came to performing a Monkees song during his July 1994 performance in the West End was when he did his "Different Drum," hastily goofed through during this 1966 episode.) And yet for all his forays into country-rock and moviemaking, Nesmith was and will always be a Monkee man as well. And so, on this day he offers these condolences, from which I pull this excerpt:
While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don't exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won't abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David's spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.

Now Trending