Tuesday, after a couple dozen kids came home sick on Monday, DISD cancelled school at Lakewood Elementary. Areas at the school -- specifically an art classroom -- contained high levels of carbon monoxide, enough to make kids in the class complain of stomach aches and dizziness. A retired teacher who now volunteers at the school remains in the hospital after being exposed to the carbon monoxide in a copy room near the art class.
Dallas Independent School District Lakewood Elementary
DISD maintenance crews found the source of the carbon monoxide eventually: a pipe in one of the schools boilers was blocked by a dead owl.More »