Texans Are Tired of Rick Perry, Totally Heart Ted Cruz and Still Support Paula Deen
The Koch Bros might be emptying their change purses in order to keep Texas from tinting blue, but the state is in no danger of becoming a real battleground, new polling suggests. Also: People continue to think in large numbers that other states should not mess with Texas. Also: That's a weird question to ask on a poll.
People seem to like Ted Cruz.
Public Policy Polling surveyed registered voters in late June. Among the questions it asked Republicans: Who would you vote for in a 2016 Republican primary featuring Senator Ted Cruz, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Paul Ryan and other really uninventive candidates?
Cruz rolled, collecting 27 percent of the vote, 12 points higher than his nearest competitor (Bush).
Here are some other results:
- People were about split on whether Cruz should run for president. Which means a lot of people think he should run for president. Which means a lot of people are weird.
- No one's quite sure what the hell Senator John Cornyn is doing in Washington, but he would still smoke either state Senator Wendy Davis or San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro in a Senate race, just more proof that this isn't becoming a battleground state anytime soon.
- Only 34 percent said gay people should be allowed to married, but 64 percent said they should be allowed to marry or have civil unions, as long as they're not all out there shoving it our faces, knowwhatImean?
- Texans hate Hillary Clinton -- except when compared with Rick Perry. In hypothetical presidential elections featuring the Democratic frontrunner, Clinton lost every time out, except when pitted against Perry. In a fake Clinton-Perry matchup, she won 48-44. In other words: Rick Perry, your time is up.
- Respondents were asked whether they approved or disapproved of Texas becoming a majority-minority state. Respondents did not like being asked this. Respondents asked again, Wait, this thing is anonymous, right? You know I don't have to do this. In the end, 44 percent of respondents said they were "not sure," more than on any other question.
- Forty-six percent of those surveyed retain a favorable opinion of Paula Deen. Twenty-one percent said they don't like her, and 32 percent banged their head against the wall, grumbling, "Why do I still have a landline?"
- Almost 80 percent of respondents said people should not mess with Texas. We assume that the other 20 percent are just hoping someone has the balls to.