We've Spent Way Too Much Time Watching Honest Tea's Hidden Downtown Camera

HonestTea4.jpg
OK, Honest Tea. You win. You too, Kat Kirsch, sender of press releases. Because for the past way too long to admit, we've been riveted to the tea company's livestream from Akard and Main, where that unmanned kiosk's been set up to see if people will leave a dollar, as requested, or just walk away with a gratis bottle of Organic Honey Green Tea. Anna went down there, just because it seemed kinda funny. She took a picture of the camera, which was hidden ... ish. That's her above.

Says Kat, "Currently, 97% of people in Dallas are honest!" Anna says the marketing folks on site say it's closer to 95 percent, which is still way better than the 90 percent-ish being candid-camera'd in New York, Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco and a few other major metros. Guess it all depends on the equity.

A DPD officer on a bike just rolled past, taking a good, long look at the money box filled with singles. Anna wrote down what he told the woman refilling the shelves. He asked her if this was her joint. She said yup, at which point he handed her his card and said to call if "if any scallywags make off with your money." She said: "If it happens, it happens." Jump for the stream and a few grabs. And if yer thirsty, they're there till 6. Wave!

Update at 4:54 p.m.: Anna just brought back three teas -- she paid, swear -- and they're surprisingly cold. Highly recommended.


Video streaming by Ustream
HonestTea2.jpg
HonestTea1.jpg
HonestTea3.jpg
hiddencamea.jpg


Advertisement

My Voice Nation Help
13 comments
Indigenous Inhabitant
Indigenous Inhabitant

Some time this afternoon a pawn shop on Gaston will be forking over $4 for a good used street camera.

gabbahey
gabbahey

@ 33:30 of that recorded stream, a guy in blue jeans, a red shirt, with a black vest, and a big paper bag covering his head, makes off with about a half dozen bottles.

Thieving scumbag.

cp
cp

Do we get some sort of a prize for being "97% honest" or demerits for the other 3%?

Montemalone
Montemalone

This will be a much more interesting show in prime time, after dark.

Robert
Robert

A reporter-ette and her camera man are there now. She's wearing shorts.

ChrisU
ChrisU

good thing they didn't set it up on Marilla street.somebody had to say it.

Anna Merlan
Anna Merlan

Honest Tea: Now With 100 Percent More Devastatingly Pale Lady Journalist. 

TheRealDirtyP1
TheRealDirtyP1

It was funny until he starting putting them in his vest. What an asshole. 

$1 for a drink anywhere, isn't bad. Hell, a bottle of tap water is $1.29

cp
cp

I was thinking, go set that up across from the library and we'll see how "honest" Dallas is.....

Nick R.
Nick R.

Anna! Can you see me! Hello! Can you grab me a green tea? Hello!?!

ChrisU
ChrisU

I was trying to make a jab at the politicians, not the homeless. oh well,,,,,,,

cp
cp

'Cept those politicians prefer Grey Goose vodkas to some healthy green tea bullshit....

Now Trending

Dallas Concert Tickets

Around The Web

From the Vault

 

General

Loading...