For Sale: Architect John Barthel's Award-Winning Home, Which Doubles As Fine Art
The Times hints at the house's historical significance: built in '59, one of several homes in the neighborhood built by the architects who actually lived in 'em and the recipient of a 2002 American Institute of Architects award. But it doesn't say to whom the house belonged: John Barthel, who, in 1952, moved to Dallas from Chicago to work with George Dahl; and who designed the St. Pius X church and rectory in the mid-1960s.
According to DCAD, Barthel was the home's sole owner; according to The Times, "Everything in the house is original, including tile mosaics and a mural painted by the architect on closet doors in the entryway." It received Dallas AIA's "25 Year Residential Award" in '02; jurors were particularly impressed with the "angular folded roofs that shelter two rotated living volumes underneath and float effortlessly above the site's lush, green carpet." Reason the house is on the market: Barthel died on April 2 at the age of 88.
Update: Slide show!