The Top 10 Best Concerts I've Been To In Dallas
That would've been the show back in the summer of 2004 at the Lakewood Theater when lead singer Justin Furstenfeld - bum knee and crutches be damned - was as passionate as any singer I've ever seen.
Got me to thinking about Friday's show compared to the Lakewood show compared to every other show. I saw Madonna at Texas Stadium and Van Halen in the West End and Kid Rock at Tarrant County Convention Center. None, however, barged into my coolest concert memories.
Little stroll down memory lane and - tada! - got myself a list. This one goes by the name The Top 10 Best Concerts I've Been To In Dallas:
10. Pat Benatar, Reunion Arena, 1981 - You always remember your first.
9. Junior Brown, Sons of Hermann Hall, 2001 - Mesmerized by his guit-steel, and I ain't even country.
8. Cake, The Palladium, 2009 - Lyrics that made me laugh and beats that made me bob.
7. Blue October, Lakewood Theater, 2004 - Justin wore mascara on his eyes and passion on his suit sleeves.
6. B52s, Starplex, 1998 - Don't love their music, but their show was dancin', boppin', friggin' fun.
5. Texxas Jam, Cotton Bowl, 1983 - Ted Nugent and Sammy Haggar teamed up on Led Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love."
4. Linkin Park, Starplex, 2004 - I sorta remember opening performances by Snoop Dogg and Korn before losing my sandal somewhere in the mosh pit.
3. Nine Inch Nails, Deep Ellum Live, 1995 - Too dark, too big and way too loud for that venue. Perfect.
2. Lallapalooza, Starplex, 1992 - All-day event climaxed with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam.
1. Prince, Dallas Convention Center, 2000 - On his Hit 'n Run Tour, he nailed the high notes on what felt like 100 funky "Ooh I remember this one!" hits.