Top 100 Reasons Texas Is Twice as Awesome as Any Other State
26. Our school kids take a full year of Texas History. Can they name all other 49 states? Not sure but they sure as hell wouldn't bother to rank them below us in a list.
27. Chili. Real chili, with no beans and not made with chicken or other yankee bullshit.
28. That "The stars at night are big and bright..." scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure? That shit really works in real life. And not ironically. We've seen it many times.
29. Aggie jokes/tests. [Updated. Applause for commenter Missy!]
30. SMU Physics Dept.'s Dark Matter Research (apparently leading the field)
31. Top Tier Universities: Rice (17) and the University of Texas at Austin (45)
32. You've heard of "Texas Music," right?
33. Kris Kristofferson, the guy who wrote every song you've ever heard (pop and country)
34. Waylon Jennings
35. Tommy Lee Jones
36. Can we count Bill Moyers? Born in Hugo, OK but went to UT Austin and was press sec for LBJ.
37. That Larry McMurtry guy with all those badass books he wrote about us.
38. Lon Tinkle, writer, literary critic and Dallas Morning News journalist who now (posthumously) pays for a lot of kids to go to school (Lon Tinkle Award at SMU, for instance)
39.The Texas Freedom Network - watchdog against radical religious conservatism
40. Dallas Mavericks!
41. Dirk Nowitzki!
42. Mark Cuban!
43. Denton proving that you don't have to be a big city to have a phenomenal music scene.
44. You can sing any Emily Dickinson poem to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas."
45. More mega-churches
46. Dr. Denton Cooley performed first artificial heart transplant
47. Best state shape for cookies
48. Regional theater started here with Margo Jones in the 1940s
49. "Cowboying" is still a profession.
50. The Marfa lights and Janis Joplin still aren't fully understood by outsiders.