Top 100 Reasons Texas Is Twice as Awesome as Any Other State
By now most of you dear readers are well aware of the Gawker-produced list of the 50 Worst States In America. Gawker placed their home base at 50, and the Lone Star State at 13. Sure sure, our placement could be worse, but instead of celebrating that, we'd rather point out the reasons our fair state is better, nay, the best.
Merritt Martin Oh, you can damn well bet this is on the list.
While many of our sister publications' blogs (including our H-Town sib) and other blogs in general are doling out their own lists of the 50 Reasons Their [Insert State Name] Rules Hard, we decided to approach our list in true Texas fashion: bigger, badder and crazy-diverse, with just the right amount of sass and dust-kicking.
We not-so-humbly present, in no particular order, The Top 100 Reasons Texas Is Twice as Awesome as Your State:
2. World class birding. Even in the middle of Dallas at White Rock Lake.
4. El Capitan
5. South Padre Island (best sand castle sand in the world)
6. Molly Ivins
7. Ann Richards
8. Taco Cabana
9. Sons of Hermann Hall
10. Barton Springs, Balmorhea, Krause Springs and all the rest
11. When Katrina refugees needed places to stay, we took them in.
12. Nolan Ryan
13. Willie Nelson
14. Robert Earl Keen, Guy Clark, Billy Joe Shaver, Lyle Lovett and Townes Van Zandt
15. The most popular poker game in the world isn't called New York Hold 'Em, is it?
16. The Frio River
17. The Alamo Drafthouse Movie Theater
18. Bottle Rocket, Reality Bites and Robocop were filmed here.
19. Also, Giant, Logan's Run, Fandango and No Country for Old Men.
20. The Last Picture Show, Bonnie and Clyde, Lonesome Dove and Dazed and Confused, too.
21. Walker, Texas Fucking Ranger OR Chuck Norris
22. Texas high school football is Friday Night Lights.
23.In some Texas towns, you can hear native Texans speaking Spanish, German and Polish.
24. Oh, and Czech, too
25. The Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders