25 Ways to Tell You Spend Too Much Time in Deep Ellum
Deep Ellum is not the only place in where music happens in Dallas. But it is the most storied: It's where our blues scene found its legs and where Kurt Cobain found our fists. And today, the neighborhood is home to every kind of show, from one person with an acoustic guitar to touring metal bands on elevated stages. It is in tribute to this dense little strip of warehouses and bars that we present this, the 25 ways to tell you're spending too much time in Deep Ellum. It's a checklist well worth completing.
flickr/Steve Rainwater flickr/Steve Rainwater
25. You gave the robot by the DART station a name.
24. You've peered into the window of that sex shop at all the leather stuff.
23. Gabe at Black Swan knows your favorite infusion.
See also: Gabe Sanchez Spent Years Catering to Celebrities. Now He Makes Everyone Feel Like a VIP
22. You've seen the sun rise from Buzzbrews.
21. You know what all the artwork at 3 Links means.
See also: The Experienced Three Links Owners Get Their Priorities from the Odd Fellows
20. You've spent an hour lining up for the Dada bathroom.
19. You can't remember what grass looks like.
18. You actually know the way to Sandbar Cantina.
See also: Spillover 2013: Sand, Sound and Finding Peace in Metal Shows
17. You're on the high-score board for the erotic spot-the-difference game at Trees.
16. You know about the secret free parking lot (we're not sharing).
15. You have a favorite style of burger at Angry Dog.
Lauren Drewes Daniels
14. All your glasses at home are "sample cups" from Deep Ellum Brewing Company's "tours."
See also: Meet Deep Ellum Brewing Co.'s New Head Brewer, Jeremy Hunt
13. You've considered a career as a parking attendant because of the cool flag they get to wave.
12. You can name everyone in the photos on the walls of Allgood Cafe.
11. You've ever actually been in the Boiler Room.