Record Store Day Approaches and Ben Harper Premiers at The White House
This is not your everyday Billboard chart. Each week, we'll tell you which bands are selling in the fine record shops in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, where we consumers of music have impeccable taste.
The day has finally come and Bill Wisener, Bill's Records owner, can hardly contain his excitement. The Obamas hosted a night of entertainment dedicated to 'Memphis soul' music last week and among the performers was Ben Harper, one of Wisener's long time friends. "I've known him for about 20 years now, and am so happy for him," says Wisener. "Since he's been on his new label, great things have been happening for him. It's not always the goal of music, but the affirmation of having fans watch you and appreciate what you are doing. He has unbelievable talent, and deserves the success he is gaining." The performance will air on PBS at 7 p.m. tonight with other artists, such as Justin Timberlake and Booker T. Jones.
Record Store Day is approaching and local record shops are preparing for a leap in sales. "There are a number of strong releases coming out this week," says Lance Price, CD Source owner. "Plus this Saturday is Record Store Day where there will be over 300 exclusive releases coming out. We will open at 7 a.m. and have bands play all day and food from nearby restaurants. I suspect next week's Top 20 will consist of completely different titles."
Mark Church, sales associate at Good Records, is also preparing for the festivities this weekend. "Kurt Vile takes 3 of the top slots with all 3 editions of his very good Wakin On A Pretty Daze album," says Church. "Don't forget to come out to Good Records this Saturday the 20th for Record Store Day and our 13th Birthday Celebration!"
In addition to the excitement over the next few days, Price is thrilled to see one of his best-loved albums reaching the top of sales. "The Rolling Stones' classic live album Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out Anniversary is a CD sized version of the 40th Anniversary box set that originally came out in 2009. This is one of my all time favorite live albums. Disc 3 features opening acts B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner. You have to be the greatest rock and roll band to have them open for you! Disc 4 is film of the concert and included Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin in backstage footage. Do I sound excited enough about this release?"
1. The Knife - Shaking The Habitual CD
2. Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze CD
3. Postal Service - Give Up (Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition)CD
4. Phosphorescent - Muchacho CD
5. Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze Deluxe LP
6. Dawes - Stories Don't End LP
7. Postal Service - Give Up (Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition)LP
8. Phosphorescent - Muchacho LP
9. Black Angels - Indigo Meadow CD
10. Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze LP
1. Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!
2. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell, and Angels
3. Mumford and Sons - Babel
4. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
5. Black Keys - El Camino
6. Avett Brothers - Carpenter
7. Gary Clark Jr. - Blk & Blu
8. Rodriguez - Cold Fact
9. Hayes Carll - Flowers and Liquor
10. Kelly Willis and Bruce Robinson - Cheaters Game
1. Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out: Rolling Stones in Concert! (Expanded Edition)
2. Dawes - Stories Don't End
3. Paramore - Paramore
4. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
5. Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Daze
6. Tyler the Creator - Wolf
7. Boney James - Beat
8. Skrillex - Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites [Single, EP]
9. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
10. Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
11. Black Angels - Indigo Meadow
12. Postal Service - Give Up
13. Todd Rundgren - State: Deluxe Limited Edition 2 CD Set
14. Iron Maiden - Maiden England (DVD)
15. Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
16. Clutch - Earth Rocker
17. Four Tops - Icon
18. Pink - Truth About Love
19. Lianne La Havas - Is Your Love Big Enough?
20. Prince - Prince
If you sell music anywhere in the metroplex and would like to participate in this column in the future, please contact Megan Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org