Chelsea Light Moving is This Week's Top Sell in Dallas Record Stores
This is not your everyday Billboard chart. Each week, we'll tell you which bands are selling in the fine record shops in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, where we consumers of music have impeccable taste.
Chelsea Light Moving takes the number one spot at Good Records and Atoms for Peace is still making headway at local record stores; however, a surprising amount of competition by classic artists was apparent in last week's top selling albums.
Mark Church, sales associate at Good Records, noticed an increase in sales with some of their late great albums. "So, this week a couple of deceased artists make up almost half the
list many years after their passing," says Church. "I wonder how many current artists will
be able to pull this off years from now."
Lance Price, CD Source owner, was also seeing a boost in sales with featured classic artists. "Hendrix - People Hell & Angels is a new album of twelve never before released studio recordings," says Price. "It includes work outside of the original Experience Trio with old friends and new ensembles. I've heard that the sound is very intimate like it's Jimi live in a room with two or three other guys. The sound quality is also supposed to be very good. It sold twice as much as our number two seller Alabama Shakes."
"Boz Scaggs has always been influenced by the Memphis R & B sound so his new album is very fitting," says Price. "It was recorded at Willie Mitchell's Royal Studio in Memphis and includes a number of legendary studio musicians, plus Ghostbuster Ray Parker Jr. on guitar. The album includes two originals and the rest covers. I really like his version of "Love On a Two Way Street". His Silk Degrees album is one of my all time favorites, and I saw him two years ago with Michael McDonald at Verizon. He is as good if not better than ever."
1. Chelsea Light Moving - Chelsea Light Moving LP
2. Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse CD
3. Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse LP
4. Nick Drake - Pink Moon 180 Gram Vinyl LP
5. Men - New Moon LP
6. Atoms For Peace - Amok CD
7. Jimi Hendrix - People,Hell And Angels LP
8. Jimi Hendrix - People,Hell And Angels CD
9. Jimi Hendrix - Axis:Bold As Love Mono LP
10. Yo La Tengo - Fade LP
1. Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!
2. Gary Clark Jr. - Blk & Blu
3. Mumford and Sons - Babel
4. Rodriguez - Cold Fact
5. Black Keys - El Camino
6. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
7. Tame Impala - Lonerism
8. Avett Brothers - Carpenter
9. Mavericks - In Time
10. Turnpike Troubadours - Goodbye Normal Street
1. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell & Angels
2. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
3. Howard Hewett - Very Best Of
4. Black Keys - El Camino
5. Nick Cave & Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
6. Mumford & Sons - Babel - Gentlemen of the Road Edition
7. Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell- Old Yellow Moon
8. Mavericks - In Time
9. Bilal - Love Surrender
10. Boz Scaggs - Memphis
11. Atoms for Peace - Amok
12. Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man (soundtrack)
13. UGK - Underground Kingz
14. They Might Be Giants - Nanobots
15. Beatles - Abbey Road LP (Original recording remastered)
16. Avett Brothers - Carpenter
17. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls LP
18. Rhye - Woman
19. Rolling Stones - Crossfire Hurricane DVD
20. Son Volt - Honky Tonk
If you sell music anywhere in the metroplex and would like to participate in this column in the future, please contact Megan Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up with DC9 at Night on Twitter or Facebook.