Listomania: Top Five Musician National Anthem Fails
Honestly, "The Star-Spangled Banner" can be a beating even when performed in a competent manner. Only a select few have ever really knocked it out of the park -- Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Jose Feliciano, etc. -- and most of them had to change up the song considerably to do so.
Your average pop musician has but two options: You can make it through the song without fucking up, sell the ending and cash your Jerry Jones check, or you can fuck up so bad that your performance lives on in YouTube perpetuity.
The Denton-based country stars in the Eli Young Band apparently chose the latter option at Sunday's Chiefs-Broncos game in Kansas City, getting so lost in the lyrics that they ended up taking a mulligan and starting all over again. Which, of course, earned the group a slew of boos.
In honor of this massive fuck-up from Denton's Own, we here at DC9 present the greatest National Anthem fails popular music has ever offered.
5. Perhaps you should spend less time replacing 'c's with 'q's and more time memorizing lyrics, Mr. Soulchild.
4. You might remember pop tart Jesse McCartney from his stint in the boy band Dream Street. No? Well then maybe you heard him voicing Theodore in Alvin and the Chipmunks and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakqul. Still no? Be thankful for that.
3. In order to save Abel, he had to destroy America.
2. In case you needed another reason to dislike Michael Bolton, observe as he not only forgets the words to the Anthem, but resorts to his Sarah Palin-style hand-notes to get back on track. It's quite possible that his "Sorry, guys... brain fart." look will be studied by politicians for years to come, however.
1. You can tell Aerosmith's Steven Tyler is gonna butcher the Anthem from the first harmonica note in this performance from the Indy 500, but you have to hang on till the end to really hear how bad things can get. But at least he reminds us to take a moment and think about all the people who have given their lives to protect our free-yiiiiahhh-hah-yabba-dab-a-dabba-dom.