A Very Indie Christmas: Ten Songs To Conquer Your Parents' Karen Carpenter Blues
|Bring a little rock to your Christmas.|
Our parents have to be sick of it too. They just have to be.
The frustrating thing is that there are handfuls of damn fine Christmas songs -- both originals and covers -- from bands that aren't American Idol big, and yet are still ripe for family listening.
So, here we present a list of bad ass Christmas songs -- ones that fall under the nebulous "indie" umbrella -- to replace that depressing, fourth-repeat of Karen Carpenter playing on the radio.
Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston can rest their voices this year because we're bringing our own mixtape, and it's totally got My Morning Jacket it on it.
Check it out after the jump.
|Sufjan Stevens has a whole tree full of music to help your radio blues.|
2. Mayer Hawthorne - Christmastime is Here
3. Low - "Little Drummer Boy"
4. The Raveonettes "The Christmas Song" -
5. Reigning Sound "If Christmas Can't Bring You Home" -
6. Kate Bush - "December Will be Magic Again"
7. XTC - Thanks for Christmas
8. Sufjan Stevens - "Joy to the World"
9. My Morning Jacket - Xmas
10. My Morning Jacket - Xmas Time is Here Again