The Best Albums In Dallas Music, 2008: Centro-Matic/South San Gabriel's Dual Hawks Eyes No. 7
Astounding for a number of reasons, not the least of which is its length (two discs, 23 tracks, 90 minutes of run time), Dual Hawks stands, to date, as the crowning achievement in the already impressive cap worn by Denton's Will Johnson and Co.
How's it so impressive? Well, for one, it shows the wide range of talents boasted by both of Johnson's projects, Centro-matic and South San Gabriel, each of which is given an entire album's worth of showcase time on this double disc, dual release.
The Centro-matic side? Well, that's pretty much what we've come to expect from the gang at this point. It's boozy, emotive bar rock with just a touch of Texas twang. The South San Gabriel half? Consider it a change-up from noted MLB fan Johnson--it's far more atmospheric and deliberate.
Bonus mp3: Centro-Matic -- "The Rat Patrol and DJ's"
The Top 20 Local Releases Of 2008
20. Collin Herring - Past Life Crashing
19. Stumptone - Gravity Suddenly Released
18. Dove Hunter - The Southern Unknown
17. Febrifuge - A Short Instance Of Separation
16. Jonathan Tyler & The Northern Lights - Hot Trottin'
15. Toadies - No Deliverance
14. Record Hop - Record Hop
13. The New Frontiers - Mending
12. Fight Bite - Emerald Eyes
11. Lil Wil - Dolla$, TX
10. Dem Southernfolkz - The Message
9. True Widow - True Widow
8. The Theater Fire - Matter and Light
7. Centro-matic/South San Gabriel - Dual Hawks
...and keep checking back, as this list will update daily.