Americans Declare Wine Independance: We Now Drink More Vino Than The French.

Categories: Food News

CMWine.jpg
Great news America. We win. A story printed earlier this year notes U.S. residents now make up the largest wine market in the world, consuming 13 percent of all that's produced globally. That's ahead of both France and Italy, which have historically been the biggest winos in the global market.

What's even better is a lot of that wine is being produced right here in the good ol' U.S. of A. And it's not just California and Oregon, two states known for their wine production, that are leading the way with notable varietals.

Virginia has been producing exceptional wines for years, and now Ohio, Hawaii, Alaska and yes, Texas, are offering up vino good enough to be served in some of the nation's finest restaurants. It's enough for Jancis Robinson, co-author of the recently published American Wine to declare a successful revolution.

Robinson was featured on NPR's Weekend Edition this Saturday touting bubbles from Arizona, Viognier from Virginia and other stateside wines. You can listen to the story, here. And perhaps the next time you're in a wine store you should pay a bit more attention to Texas wines.

My Voice Nation Help
9 comments
gmit
gmit

Is that the Robocop Liquor Store ?

Wino
Wino

Wrong!! And totally misleading. And old news by the way. The U.S. was already in 2011 the first country consumer of wine not only in volume but also in sales. But... the U.S. comes in 15th position when it comes to consumption per capita with 12.5 liters per person per year. France is still first with 52.6 liters per person per year (or 1 per week).

Wino
Wino

Wrong!! And totally misleading. And old news by the way. The U.S. was already in 2011 the first country consumer of wine not only in volume but also in sales. But... the U.S. comes in 15th position when it comes to consumption per capita with 12.5 liters per person per year. France is still first with 52.6 liters per person per year (or 1 per week).

Twinwillow
Twinwillow

Lord knows, I'm drinking my share as fast as I can. 

Nictacular
Nictacular

I do what I can with my case a month from Trader Joe's...

Myrna.Minkoff-Katz
Myrna.Minkoff-Katz topcommenter

Hmmm...  I wonder if we're first because we have a population of 315 million, whereas France has 65 million and Italy 60 million.  Just asking, not trying to quibble.

ChrisYu
ChrisYu

@Wino  any stats on Observer readers per capita?

ScottsMerkin
ScottsMerkin topcommenter

@Myrna.Minkoff-Katz not trying to quibble but im pretty sure we have had a higher population than those 2 countries for many many years and we never topped the list before, so this is a pretty big deal

Sharon_Moreanus
Sharon_Moreanus topcommenter

@ScottsMerkin @Myrna.Minkoff-Katz not the mention the new French advertising law and their tougher drinking-driving laws.

In the USA all 50 states produce wine. Washington & New York (w/ ca&or) hold 95% of the market while the other 46 only produce 5%

Now Trending

From the Vault

 

Loading...